Monday, December 1, 2008

Boca Juniors 2 - Racing Club 1



Last night's game was insane. We took a cab down to the La Bombonera about an hour and a half before the start, and made our way into the stadium. Were disappointed when we found out our tickets really were in the Racing Club's fan section, but excited that the tickets actually worked, so it was okay.

Once we entered the stadium (after various pat-downs and ticket checks) the stench of urine filled the air. Two dudes were peeing on the wall in the corridor (out of disrespect for Boca, I'm assuming), and there were puddles of pee everywhere. We cautiously tip-toed up the many flights of stairs all the way to the very top level (through an inch or two-deep giant urine puddle ugh) and out into the bleachers. Decided to sit in the middle-ish of the section, thinking it would be a good place. We wondered why most people were sitting on the ends, but decided to stay there anyway. Soon found out that various flags go from the fence up front all the way up to the top of the stadium, cutting right into our line of vision, so we moved down and over a bit. That was when the drummers showed up, parked it right next to us, and began the 2 hours of drumming that made up the backbone of the songs and chants. Moved again, this time way over to the right, where we found a decent place to stand for the rest of the game.

It was crazy- the crowd didn't stop singing, not even through the intermission, and no one sat at all. In fact, there was no place to sit if you wanted to see the game. But that was fine, because you would probably get trampled if you sat, especially when Racing scored. Mark and I clung to each other as the crowd swayed and cheers rumbled through the stadium. People were using my shoulders to hold on to while jumping up and down. And it was true what they say about the stadium- you can feel it move when the crowd gets excited. Which is pretty much the entire game.

Did I mention I was somewhat terrified the entire time of what might happen? I'm sure I would have had a complete anxiety attack had it not been for the constant cloud of mota smoke above our heads (and probably in my lungs). I'm sure I got a contact high. I have never seen so much public weed smoking in my life, except maybe 4/20 on Farrand Field in Boulder during college :P

Anyway, to make a long story short, it was amazing and chaotic and scary and exhiliarating all at the same time. And honestly, I never felt like I was in any real danger, just worried I would get knocked down a couple of tiers, which never happened. We left before the game ended so we could avoid the massive crowds (and to have room to carefully navigate through the urine that now covered the entire corridor and steps). Caught a cab back home, put my shoes in a contained place, and showered fervently.

Here is a video of the highlights (I didn't bring my cam in). You can see where we sat when Racing scores and they show the fan section:



If you ever get a chance to see a game at La Bombonera, take it.

No comments: