Monday, November 17, 2008

Barrios

Just a quick update! We've been exploring the ciudad everyday and so far we've been to the barrios of Palermo, La Boca, Puerto Madero, and maybe a few others that we did not realize we were in. Of course, we've also spent a lot of time in San Telmo, which is where our apartment is (the building is pictured here). I like our neighborhood, and I'm glad we're here, even though there's a lot of road construction happening around our building. We wake up every day to the sound of a jackhammer 6 floors below. But I'm glad we're not in a busier area; we have seen some very crazy streets.

It has been interesting riding the subte (BA's subway system) around town. The first time we got on it was rush hour, and we had to cram into the subway car like sardines. Luckily its not always that full, and it is actually pretty easy to navigate. Admittedly, Minnie does most of the navigating, but the subway is one thing I understand. It only costs about 25 cents each ride, so its a great way to get around the city quickly.

Some of the challenges so far have been:
  • finding vegetarian meals
  • understanding the locals
  • finding street signs
  • reading menus
But we are figuring things out just fine. I am hoping to get a spanish tutor or take some classes soon. I am picking things up, but I would do better if I had somebody to answer my questions. Well, we are about to go buy some empanadas for dinner, so ttyl!
-Mark

No comments: